Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Workshop One: Atlas of Colour~

Final product 
I decided to bind my book in Accordion Fold Style because I wanted to bind a book in a more interesting and unique way.  By taking advantage of this workshop to practice and experiment with different book binding methods i was able to become more familiar with different techniques and was able to produce a book which, when stretched out completely, showed the sequence of events and exercises which helped us understand the importance of colour in the built environment.
Title page: my ideal colour was Yellow Pantone 108
For in class notes I had a very simple layout where I used layering to create a interesting effect.  I retyped sheets given to us in class and blurred and made it more transparent and then hand wrote notes I took in class over the top. 
Close up of in class notes
Colours I surround myself with
Watercolour drawing of colours working in harmony in the Built Environment

One interesting part of my Atlas would be my painting of a stained glass window in St. Mary's Cathedral.  I decided to do the painting on a piece of transparency which allowed the viewer to have a idea of what it was like actually looking at the window. However the paint I used began to crack after I had secured another transparency over the top leaving it quite fragile.


I really enjoyed this workshop as I really like colours and how it can affect people and the symbolisms it has in different cultures, traditions and lifestyles.  This workshop was really successful in the way students were able to experiment and test their own creativity and workmanship.  By doing watercolour drawings of buildings it really opened my eyes to the range of colours used in the built environment. People usually look at the building as form, structure and design and forget how important colour is to create a atmosphere upon entering a building and the symbolisms it has in different cultures.   From this workshop i've come to realise how much difference can be made in a building by the simple step of changing the colour of the building and this is something I will continue to use and investigate during my studies.  Overall this workshop was really enjoyable as it allowed me to combine my love for colour with a very hands-on project.

No comments: