Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Workshop Three: Fluid Thoughts to Action~

All drawings done during the workshop.
In class Group collaboration.  A column was used as the central focus of the drawing with other drawings cut up creating a mosaic effect for the ceiling and walls.  
Completed Folio.
First drawing of opera house showing motion.
Second drawing of the opera house. I really wanted to show how this building whilst being very elegant can also be seen as dominating and monumental.
In class still-life drawing. 
In class drawing of landscape and detailing from level 6 window. This drawing was probably the hardest for me to draw during the course.  Usually when I draw I tend to draw as realistic as I can however with such a large landscape and limited time I used mainly tones and shading to create the landscape.  The detail which was drawn on top was also very hard for me as I had to completely relax and let my observations guide my hand.  Although the detail does not convey complete comfort and confidence it contrasts with my usual drawings.
Product from a Verbal description of a space. 
Exterior drawings. This first drawing allowed me to experiment with layering similar to the the in-class landscape exercise. I drew a landscape based on tones and layered the fencing over the drawing and also brought the fencing closer to the viewer.
Through my drawings I experimented with the two types of charcoal we were to use, willow and compressed.  They each gave a different effect and texture to the drawing and i tried to incorporate these textures and tones into my drawings.

Interior Drawings. This was one of my first drawings and as you can see it is very tentative and unsure in the tones and linework.


I also tried playing with light and showing the movements of light over time.
Exterior Drawings.
In these drawings I used both types of charcoal to differentiate the man made objects with the natural plantation of the space. The willow charcoal also gave me more room to express myself through the drawings.



These two drawings show how i experiment with different drawing styles.  In the drawing below I used a more simple approach by only showing the basic shapes which make up the apartments



Exterior Space.

In these powerline drawings I used compressed charcoal to emphasise the harsh nature of the space and structure.


Interior Space


Overall, from the experience of all three workshops this workshop was the one I enjoyed the most.  Although at times the amount of drawings we had to do seemed overwhelming it was still a very enjoyable experience.  I tended to draw many drawings in one go rather than the suggested two a day at different times.  I felt that by doing this I was able to let myself relax and develop my confidence in my drawings by continuously drawing rather than stopping and starting.  This allowed me to progress further and build confidence in this new medium.  The most important lessons I took from this workshop are to experiment with different mediums, how to convey a space through drawings and how to create more fluidity in my drawings which creates atmosphere.  Using different mediums allows for more possibilities in presentation and fluidity in the drawings gives a sense of atmosphere in the space being drawn and makes the entire drawing more expressive and interesting.

No comments: